Hidden Fire Dangers in Your Wall (Wiring Issues that Families Should be Mindful of)
Ensure Safety and Peace of Mind by Tackling these Fire Dangers
There is a common misconception that it is difficult to foresee home electrical fire dangers because the wiring is out of sight, behind the walls of our home. After all, you can’t see through walls.
Luckily, in most cases where a home’s electrical wiring is in trouble, you don’t need X-Ray vision to know something isn’t right. There are a few telltale signs that can alert you to a problem before it threatens your safety and property. As is the case with many electrical issues, it’s important to respond quickly to these warning signs.
Use your senses. The first step to recognizing a home electrical problem is to remain alert. Be aware of, and address any buzzing noises coming from fixtures or sockets. If you smell burning, however faintly, cut power at the circuit breaker, and investigate. It’s a good idea to call a certified electrician to diagnose the problem. If light bulbs are flickering or burning out with increased frequency, the current may be irregular or too high for the bulb, often indicating an underlying wiring issue.
Circuit breaker trips often. Your home’s circuit breakers are designed to cut electricity to parts of the house when overloaded. However, if your breakers are flipping regularly, it may mean it’s time for an upgrade or repair. Though the circuit breakers cut electricity to the house beyond the breaker box, there’s still live current flowing to the breaker, so it’s a good idea to let an electrician perform any work on the circuit breaker box.
Plugs and switches are dead. When a plug or switch stops working, it may simply need to be replaced. However, it could also mean the wiring feeding the plug or switch needs repair, often because it’s loose or damaged. In many cases, a combination of these issues occurs when an underlying wiring problem leads to component failure. If you find yourself replacing sockets, switches or fixtures frequently, the problem could be in the wiring.
Plugs are warm. Plugs should not be warm to the touch, and should not appear melted, malformed or burned. While this could be a sign that you’re overusing the outlet, it’s also an indication of a deeper wiring issue leading to the outlet. Try reducing the load on the outlet by moving appliances to other plugs. If the outlet remains warm, the component or wiring may need to be replaced.
Though the tips above are not exhaustive, it’s important to look into the above electrical issues immediately. Fixing the problem early not only will help you save on repair costs, but also protect the safety and integrity of your home.
Additionally, if it’s been a while since your home’s electrical wiring was inspected, it might be time to call a certified electrician to inspect the wiring. In addition to aging, the demand on our home’s electrical wiring can change over the years, and it’s wise to make sure that your home can handle the day-to-day load.
Choose Smart! Call the Company with Heart! 866-411-ZAPP (9277)
For more information on home and business electrical inspections, HVAC and furnace services, or plumbing service throughout Spokane and Coeur d’Alene, visit Mainstream Electric, Heating, Cooling, & Plumbing online.