Follow These Holiday Plumbing Tips for a Jolly Time
Plumbing problems are never fun. When they happen during holiday festivities, they can be embarrassing, ruin holiday parties and force out of town guests to go elsewhere. Don’t get caught with an embarrassing plumbing disaster at the worst possible time. Follow these simple holiday plumbing tips to keep the fun flowing.
Common Holiday Plumbing Problems
The first step to keeping your plumbing in tip-top shape during the holiday season is knowing what problems to look out for. The problems below can be completely preventable when managed correctly.
- Overloaded Garbage Disposals
- Clogged Toilets
- Clogged Sink or Shower Drain
- Constantly Running Toilet
- Water Heater Issues
Holiday Plumbing Tips to Keep in Mind
Most of these problems are a result of overuse or misuse. The most important thing you can do to protect your pipes and plumbing this holiday season is to monitor what’s going down them and how they are being used. Follow these tips to protect your pipes and keep everyone merry:
- Make sure only small food particles go down the garbage disposal. You’d be surprised what your guests will try to put down your drain.
- Encourage everyone to dispose of their leftover food in the trashcan rather than the sink or garbage disposal.
- Set up two or three places for guests to dispose of trash to make it more convenient than the garbage disposal.
- Place a sign next to the toilet to remind guests not to flush sanitary napkins, baby wipes, or facial tissues.
- Always have a plunger on hand in each bathroom, just in case.
- Never allow fats, oils and grease down your drain. They are the leading causes of drain clogs.
- Prevent a clogged shower drain by giving it one or two good cleanings before guests come. Personal use drain snakes are easy to use and can be purchased from your local hardware store. For stubborn clogs or extra dirty drains, a professional plumber can thoroughly clean the drain using professional methods.
- Make sure every shower and bathtub have a drain screen to minimize the amount of debris getting washed down the drain.
- Fix a running toilet BEFORE guests arrive. A toilet that won’t stop running is usually a sign of a larger problem. It is best to address it before it worsens.
- Turn your hot water heater up to 120 degrees to help the hot water last longer.
- Run the dishwasher and washing machine during off times, such as early morning or late at night, to save hot water usage during the day.
- Use cold water to wash clothes.
- Run water down the drain for a few seconds before and after turning on the garbage disposal.
- Always use the disposer with a heavy stream of cold water to help prevent clogging.
- Run the garbage disposal for a few seconds before and after adding food to ensure it has all been processed.
Running into a plumbing problem of any sort can lead to disaster. At the first sign of a problem, stop and assess the situation. Call a plumber, if needed, before the problem worsens. Plumbing problems can escalate quickly if not dealt with.
There’s no worse time of the year for plumbing issues than when your home is full of guests for the holidays. If you suspect any disruption in your system call us at 866-411-9277! We offer same-day service if scheduled before 10AM. Our expert technicians will thoroughly diagnose the issue before it’s too late!